Welcome


Welcome to our Reading Promises Blog for families at Sinking Springs Elementary! Thank you for stopping by to read, learn, and share with us.

The purpose of this blog is to connect the readers of this blog and their reading promise experiences. The Reading Promise Project is based upon the reading streak author Alice Ozma chronicles in her real life memoir, The Reading Promise, between her and her father. What started as a seemingly lofty goal of 100 consecutive nights of reading together when Alice was in fourth grade, turned into a streak lasting until Alice's first day of college, 3,218 days. Our project aims to inspire as many others as possible to create reading promises of their own.

If you are a Sinking Springs parent or student, I hope that you will use this blog as a way to communicate with other families about your reading streak experiences. Tell us stories from your daily reading experiences, what books you've loved and what books you've passed up. Share your successes with us to celebrate and your challenges with us to collaborate on solutions. What little magical moments have arisen because of the commitment you've made to reading with your family? What books have you found that are must-reads for other families?

If you are a new visitor to our blog, I invite you to join our conversation and share your thoughts and experiences! From what I've learned by following Alice Ozma on various social media networks, our readers are not the first, nor the last to be inspired to begin reading streaks. I've seen other stories about amazing family reading moments and the readers at our school would love to hear about thoughts, experiences, suggestions, successes, and challenges from anyone else out there who is taking the same journey or just interesting in sharing his/her thoughts. Contribute to our conversation! Become a part of our online community of readers. We'd love to have you.

Join us in the effort to make reading a special part of your everyday life. Make a promise to read with your family, your classroom, your friends, your loved ones.

Thursday, August 9, 2012

The Beginning

This past spring, I found out about the book, The Reading Promise, by Alice Ozma from a colleague. I'm not even sure if she knows she was the catalyst behind my discovery of this book. She had added it to her online wishlist and her post had popped up on one of my social media feeds. As soon as I read the description on Amazon, I knew I had to read more. Just the brief summary reminded me of shared reading memories I experienced with my parents when I was younger. Reading and story telling always held a special place in my family. Within a day of receiving the book in the mail, I devoured it, consumed it, loved it.

There were so many things that I loved about this book. Being the ever-zealous teacher, as I was reading, my mind was spinning with thoughts of 'How can I recreate the enthusiasm and love for reading that this special father-daughter duo had with the families of my students?' I have so many cherished memories of reading as a child and the enthusiasm and passion I have for reading is something that I constantly try to instill in my fourth graders. After all, I believe that half the battle of getting your child to become a better reader is helping them to grow a love and appreciation for books. It is something I've already started to share with my recently-born son while reading to him in the special reading corner of his children's book-themed nursery. (Can you tell I'm a bit book crazy yet?)

Once I had finished The Reading Promise, I decided that I wanted to pass along Alice and her father's reading promise to the students at Sinking Springs Elementary. At first, I was thinking of a way to inspire my classroom of fourth graders to create reading promises, then I thought, 'Why stop with just my class, why not try to get as many families at our school to create reading promises of their own?' So after speaking with our principal, Mrs. Miller, and recruiting a few other equally enthusiastic colleagues, I decided to propose the idea of creating a school-wide parent/child book club for the 2012-2013 school year, based on the premise of Ozma's book, The Reading Promise.


It is my hope that by sharing this book with the families of Sinking Springs, along with strategies and activities for reading with children, I will be able to help inspire and educate families on how to start their own reading promises and streaks at home.

The purpose of this blog is to connect all of the families who decide to take on the challenge of the reading promise, and all of the visitors who pop in to check out our blog, so that parents and children can reflect on their experiences, share their successes and challenges, and above all, discuss great books with one another.

Happy Reading!
- Mrs. Hartman

5 comments:

  1. Okay, Mrs. Hartman. You hooked me. I was waiting for the school order to come in, but now I am ordering it an an ebook to read with Frances & Jake. Thanks for the inspiration!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! So glad to hear it!! Let me know what you think of it and if you decide to try out a Reading Promise at home with them. I'm excited to hear your thoughts!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a wonderful idea, Mrs. Hartman! I just downloaded a copy of the book onto my Kindle. I can't wait to get started.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woo hoo! I'm excited for you to get started as well. Looking forward to you joining our discussion and hearing your thoughts.

      Delete