Welcome


Welcome to our Reading Promises Blog for families at Sinking Springs Elementary! Thank you for stopping by to read, learn, and share with us.

The purpose of this blog is to connect the readers of this blog and their reading promise experiences. The Reading Promise Project is based upon the reading streak author Alice Ozma chronicles in her real life memoir, The Reading Promise, between her and her father. What started as a seemingly lofty goal of 100 consecutive nights of reading together when Alice was in fourth grade, turned into a streak lasting until Alice's first day of college, 3,218 days. Our project aims to inspire as many others as possible to create reading promises of their own.

If you are a Sinking Springs parent or student, I hope that you will use this blog as a way to communicate with other families about your reading streak experiences. Tell us stories from your daily reading experiences, what books you've loved and what books you've passed up. Share your successes with us to celebrate and your challenges with us to collaborate on solutions. What little magical moments have arisen because of the commitment you've made to reading with your family? What books have you found that are must-reads for other families?

If you are a new visitor to our blog, I invite you to join our conversation and share your thoughts and experiences! From what I've learned by following Alice Ozma on various social media networks, our readers are not the first, nor the last to be inspired to begin reading streaks. I've seen other stories about amazing family reading moments and the readers at our school would love to hear about thoughts, experiences, suggestions, successes, and challenges from anyone else out there who is taking the same journey or just interesting in sharing his/her thoughts. Contribute to our conversation! Become a part of our online community of readers. We'd love to have you.

Join us in the effort to make reading a special part of your everyday life. Make a promise to read with your family, your classroom, your friends, your loved ones.

Friday, August 31, 2012

Joining you from NYC


Greetings to everyone at Sinking Springs Elementary School from NYC!

My name is Val.  I am a stay-at-home mom of two boys:  Simon and Ethan.  Today marks the 64th day of our reading streak.  I was so excited when Mrs. Hartman found me (via my blog) and invited us to share in your Reading Promise Project.

I came across Alice Ozma's book at our school book fair last spring.  I knew right away it was something I wanted to read.  Once I read it, I couldn't stop thinking about it, talking about it and being inspired by it.  After discussing the idea with my boys, we decided we'd try a little reading streak of our own.

Our summer reading streak began the first day of summer vacation (June 29) and was scheduled to end the last day of our break (September 5).  So technically, we're almost finished...

...Except, none of us want to stop.  We intend to keep reading and are currently figuring out how we will keep our streak going during the busy school year.

And now that we are part of your project, we feel all the more motivated.  I'll definitely be checking in with y'all throughout the school year.

If you'd like to hear about the books we've read so far, here's the list and links:
I could wax for a while about how great I think reading aloud with our kids is.  But I think I'll refrain (this time).  Instead,  let me share what my boys have to say.


Ethan is almost 7 years old.  His favorite books in kindergarten were the Piggy and Gerald series by Mo Willems.  He continued working his way through all sorts of picture books in first grade, determined to catch up to his big brother (his hero and arch nemesis).  Next week, he will begin second grade.  His current reading project is the Boxcar children series.

Ethan likes me to read aloud to him because I read the books that are above his reading level... he figures that will help him catch up to Simon a little faster (strange competitive little kid... I swear I had nothing to do with that!).


Simon is 9 years old.  He'll be a 4th grader in just 6 days.  He's wild about basketball, creating detailed Lego structures and reading Manga.  He tells me he wants to be the 2nd best Anime-guy (?) in the world when he grows up.

Si was not a strong reader for the longest time.  He recognized only a few words going into 1st grade.  Per Simon, he entered 2nd grade at the lowest reading levels in the class.  But he loved to listen.  When I started reading chapter books to him (@ kindergarten), he would stay riveted for as long as I would read.  When he began reading chapter books (mid-year second grade) for himself, he started with the books we'd read aloud together.

Today Simon reads non-stop.  Of course, all the graphic novels he can get his hands on.  But just about anything else I bring home as well.  Nonetheless, Si loves it when I read to him.  He says it's great because I can always explain vocabulary and concepts to him as we go along.  He calls me the ultimate dictionary.

But he also says reading aloud is special because we get to spend time together... I'll take that any day.


No comments:

Post a Comment