Welcome


Welcome to our Reading Promises Blog for families at Sinking Springs Elementary! Thank you for stopping by to read, learn, and share with us.

The purpose of this blog is to connect the readers of this blog and their reading promise experiences. The Reading Promise Project is based upon the reading streak author Alice Ozma chronicles in her real life memoir, The Reading Promise, between her and her father. What started as a seemingly lofty goal of 100 consecutive nights of reading together when Alice was in fourth grade, turned into a streak lasting until Alice's first day of college, 3,218 days. Our project aims to inspire as many others as possible to create reading promises of their own.

If you are a Sinking Springs parent or student, I hope that you will use this blog as a way to communicate with other families about your reading streak experiences. Tell us stories from your daily reading experiences, what books you've loved and what books you've passed up. Share your successes with us to celebrate and your challenges with us to collaborate on solutions. What little magical moments have arisen because of the commitment you've made to reading with your family? What books have you found that are must-reads for other families?

If you are a new visitor to our blog, I invite you to join our conversation and share your thoughts and experiences! From what I've learned by following Alice Ozma on various social media networks, our readers are not the first, nor the last to be inspired to begin reading streaks. I've seen other stories about amazing family reading moments and the readers at our school would love to hear about thoughts, experiences, suggestions, successes, and challenges from anyone else out there who is taking the same journey or just interesting in sharing his/her thoughts. Contribute to our conversation! Become a part of our online community of readers. We'd love to have you.

Join us in the effort to make reading a special part of your everyday life. Make a promise to read with your family, your classroom, your friends, your loved ones.

Sunday, September 9, 2012

Resolution 25: Stop Preaching & Start Leading

On one of my most recent searches for other families taking on their own reading promises, I came across a post on the blog 52 Weeks, 52 Resolutions, 1 Mom by Momma Holmes. After contacting her about her reading promise journey, she agreed to submit a guest blogger post about how The Reading Promise has inspired her. Check out the unique twist that she has given her reading promise to share the love of reading with her sons.

Last winter, in a monthly newsletter from my son’s first grade teacher, she mentioned the book The Reading Promise and how it really brought home for her how important reading with your child can be. I immediately went online and reserved it at the library. 

After I read The Reading Promise by Alice Ozma, I felt that I needed to do something. The obvious choice would have been to make a reading promise with my boy. Nope. I was too chicken. I mean some days it just doesn't fit into our life. Excuses, I know. But I just wasn't there. 

However, instead, I took Resolution 25 (stop preaching and start leading) to heart and started a Summer Book Club. I invited friends from all areas of my life, old friends, school friends, church friends, neighbors, swim friends. They all have early independent readers... I decided this was the age when many parents stop reading to their children because the children are now reading to themselves. 

I invited A LOT because I was afraid to invite just a few and have no one show up. Or commit. And I was asking for a commitment: read to your child even though we are encouraging them to read by themselves. It was a good thing I invited many because I only got one family from each of those groups. Read aloud a book I've chosen, and then come to my house for discussion, movie watching and comparison, and snacks. 

If you ask them, they will come. They gathered for discussion and snacks and movie. It was fun! The friends of my son would gather in a circle and take turns answering questions as simple as, "Who are the main characters?" or "What is the setting?" as well as more complex questions such as, "How are the characters in both books similar or different? Why?" They didn't say, "Aren't we going to watch the movie?" rather they seemed to enjoy the discussion. Then, during the movie, I would stop/start it to discuss comparisons between the book and the movie, without a complaint! It was A.W.E.S.O.M.E. 

This summer our books were Winn Dixie and Tale of Despereaux, both by Kate DiCamillo, and James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl. After watching James, the kids all asked what was next? I pointed out that we were already back in school and we might be too busy. It was unanimous... we are continuing through the school year. 

This month our choice is Indian in the Cupboard by Lynne Reid Banks and everyone in the group has ideas for what to read next, so now I will have to decide how to handle that because I LIKE CHOOSING THE BOOKS. 

So my promise to my son may not have been to read every day to him, but rather to continue to read to him. My promise was to encourage his friend's parents to continue reading to their now independent readers. My promise to read and lead has turned out to be so much fun! If you are interested in how to start your own group or are interested in discussing great reading options for your reader, please feel free to contact me through my blog. 

I am the author of the blog 52weeks52resolutions1mom.blogspot.com and mom to three young men, ages 7, 17 and 19. I am committed to raising the last son as “all in” as I was with the first two. Although I am no longer reading aloud to the oldest boys, I did convince them both to read for pleasure, and not only for school, during the summer. I consider that an accomplishment. I love reading and discussing books. In January, I pledged to do 52 realistic resolutions and not just one for the year. My blog details this journey and also the books I read along the way. 

Momma Holmes

No comments:

Post a Comment