Welcome


Welcome to our Reading Promises Blog for families at Sinking Springs Elementary! Thank you for stopping by to read, learn, and share with us.

The purpose of this blog is to connect the readers of this blog and their reading promise experiences. The Reading Promise Project is based upon the reading streak author Alice Ozma chronicles in her real life memoir, The Reading Promise, between her and her father. What started as a seemingly lofty goal of 100 consecutive nights of reading together when Alice was in fourth grade, turned into a streak lasting until Alice's first day of college, 3,218 days. Our project aims to inspire as many others as possible to create reading promises of their own.

If you are a Sinking Springs parent or student, I hope that you will use this blog as a way to communicate with other families about your reading streak experiences. Tell us stories from your daily reading experiences, what books you've loved and what books you've passed up. Share your successes with us to celebrate and your challenges with us to collaborate on solutions. What little magical moments have arisen because of the commitment you've made to reading with your family? What books have you found that are must-reads for other families?

If you are a new visitor to our blog, I invite you to join our conversation and share your thoughts and experiences! From what I've learned by following Alice Ozma on various social media networks, our readers are not the first, nor the last to be inspired to begin reading streaks. I've seen other stories about amazing family reading moments and the readers at our school would love to hear about thoughts, experiences, suggestions, successes, and challenges from anyone else out there who is taking the same journey or just interesting in sharing his/her thoughts. Contribute to our conversation! Become a part of our online community of readers. We'd love to have you.

Join us in the effort to make reading a special part of your everyday life. Make a promise to read with your family, your classroom, your friends, your loved ones.

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Day 13: Already? Really?

So I had considered the possibility of this happening, I just hadn't considered it happening so soon.

I debated writing a post about this for a few days now. I was so embarrassed! But then I realized that I have to. It is all a part of the process.

If I want the other families of the Reading Promise Project to feel comfortable sharing their successes and failures, I have an obligation to share mine.

So with that being said, I have to let you know that my first official reading streak with my son has already been broken. After 13 days. (Kinda makes you better appreciate Alice and her father's 3,218 night record.) Sigh. 13 days. Really?? Really.

Source: http://www.go4prophotos.com
I couldn't quite believe it myself. I thought we could at least make it two weeks. Two weeks. Come on! Then, it happened. It was a normal weekend day, just like any other. We didn't do anything exceptionally special or out of the ordinary. I have no good excuse to give you. Yet somehow, our daily reading slipped by us. Until about an hour after I put my son to bed and a sudden nagging realization hit me. Uh oh.....And since I am a strict believer in letting sleeping (and teething) babies lie, I decided waking him up to continue the streak would not be an option. So I accepted defeat... this time.


But no worries. Missing a day isn't the end of our reading together. A setback? Yes. A deal breaker? Definitely not. Life happens. One day was missed, and I'm sure there will be more will be in the future. But the shared joy of reading is something that still will continue with our family. In fact, we're already three days into our next streak. Let the reading begin (again)!


2 comments:

  1. Good for you sharing your slip-ups as well as your triumphs! Brava!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They're an important part of the process!

      Delete